FSC 1220 Fire Control Computing Sights and Devices - United States (US)
Federal Supply Group 12 Fire Control Equipment
Note-Fire control assemblies, subassemblies, and components are classified: a. In appropriate classes of this group when: (1) Designed for multiple applications to different kinds of fire control equipment. (2) Modified for use with guided missile remote control systems. (3) Designed specifically for shipborne guided missile remote control systems. (4) Radar equipment, designed specifically for fire control systems. (5) Both day and night viewing characteristics are incorporated into an integral unit. b. In Class 1270 or 1280, when designed specifically for aircraft gunnery or aircraft bombing fire control, respectively. c. In Class 1430, when designed specifically for guided missile remote control systems, except shipboard type. d. In appropriate classes of Group 58, when designed for multiple applications to both fire control and communication equipment. e. In appropriate classes of Group 58 when designed for night vision.
Supply Items Included in Federal Supply Class 1220
- SCALE,GRAPHICAL FIRING 196 Items
- A device designed in the form of a slide rule, having one or more scales of varying ranges, on either surface, and a plastic cursor with a matte to receive pencil markings of range correction. It is used with various types of ground and sky-sweeper weapons to determine quadrant elevation, angle of sight, or drift, and to calculate the trajectory of a projectile in relation to a target. It may contain scales for yards to meters conversion and gage points which are used in conjunction with the cursor and range scale to convert data given in meters to yards. Scales may be in mils for determining high angle fire, time of flight, deflection shift, and the like.
- COMPUTER,FIRE CONTROL 23 Items
- A computer which provides calculations for the delivery of fire-power to a predetermined target. Do not use if a more specific name can be found in this index. See also COMPUTER, DEPTH CHARGE RELEASE TIME; COMPUTER, POSITION BOMBING; and COMPUTER, TERRAIN CLEARANCE.
- COMPUTER SET,FIELD ARTILLERY,GENERAL 17 Items
- A complete programmable set with self-contained power source for computation of cannon gunnery, sound/flash ranging and survey data in Field Artillery units. It includes an electronic hand-held computer that will accept and implement various software programs, carrying case, spare battery pack, adapter/charger, and like accessories. For computer sets with paper printout capabilities see COMPUTER SET, FIELD ARTILLERY, MISSILE.
- COMPUTER SUBASSEMBLY 182 Items
- Two or more different types of items, having a common mounting or mounted on each other which together form a portion of a computer, but which in itself is not a complete functioning item and cannot be assigned a more definite item name.
- ELECTRONIC UNIT,FIRE CONTROL COMPUTER 70 Items
- A group of components in a single unit designed to be used with a COMPUTER (1), FIRE CONTROL. It contains electronic circuitry that serves as a memory unit for computing ballistic lead angles and the like. It may contain range counters (electronic), range storage and portions of built-in test circuitry. Excludes ELECTRONIC UNIT, LASER RANGING.
- COMPUTER,BALLISTICS 22 Items
- A computer which utilizes a power driven mechanism and/or electronic or electrical circuits to calculate the trajectory of a projectile in relation to a target.
- SIGHT,LEAD COMPUTING,AUTOMATIC 11 Items
- An instrument designed to direct the fire of automatic weapons against rapidly moving targets by computing, automatically and continuously, the offset of the gun bore axis from the line of sight in such a manner that the gun is constantly pointed at the advance position of the target while the line of sight is maintained on the target.